November 16, 2021

Are you in Australia on a temporary visa and/or not registered with Medicare? If so, you will be unable to obtain vaccination certificates and passports in the usual manner.

The following Visas classify as temporary: Visitor Visa, Working Holiday Visas, Student Visas, Graduate Visas, 482 Visa short-term stream, Covid Visa, Training Visa.

If you are not eligible for Medicare, you need an Individual Healthcare Identifier (IHI) to get your proof of COVID-19 vaccinations online.

You can get an IHI using the Individual Healthcare Identifiers service (IHI service) through myGov

First, you need to check if you already have an IHI. You have an IHI if any of the following apply:

  • you have a Medicare card
  • you have a DVA card
  • you’re enrolled in Medicare.

If any of these do apply, you can get your proof using either your:

  • Medicare online account through myGov
  • Express Plus Medicare mobile app

  • If you don’t have an IHI, you can use the IHI service through myGov to apply for one and link it. To do this, sign in to myGov then:

    1. Select Services or Link your first service.
    2. Select Individual Healthcare Identifiers service and then follow the prompts.

    You don’t need an IHI to get the vaccines, you only need it to get proof of your vaccinations.

    If you’re not eligible for Medicare and need to get an international certificate, you can request one by either:

    Woman wearing mask and getting a vaccine

    Subscribe to our newsletter for information and updates!

    For immigration advice & assistance – contact our legal team!

    Translate »